One morning we were reading the back of the ketchup bottle and discovered a new recipe for Ketchup Cake!
So we did the most Canadian thing we could think of and we made it!
How will it turn out?
The Great Canadian Ketchup Cake
> based off a recipe from Kraft Canada here
2 cups flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. each ground ginger and nutmeg
1/2 cup each Heinz Tomato Ketchup and water
2 Tbsp. red food colouring
1-1/2 cups butter, softened, divided
1-1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Spray 2 – 9 inch pans or line with parchment.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices.
- Mix ketchup, water and food colouring in separate bowl until blended.
- Beat 3/4 cup butter and brown sugar in large bowl with mixer until light and fluffy.
- Blend in eggs, 1 at a time.
- Add flour mixture alternately with ketchup mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 min. or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in pans 10 min. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
Note 1: We did not have any ground ginger or nutmeg,
so we doubled up on the cinnamon.
Note 2: We omitted the red food colouring.
Note 3: We used a loaf pan, 4 x 8 inch and baked for 45 minutes.
Note 4: We also did not make icing for our trial.